Before you interview for a position, learn as much about it and the employer as possible. If you found the position through a recruiter, he or she should be able to provide that information for you. If not, conduct research on the Web, visit the library, and tap into industry contacts.
Questions To Ask
After you have studied the company, make a list of questions to ask the employer:
- Why is this position available?
- What training programs are available to the person in this position?
- What are your goals for this position?
- What obstacles must be overcome for the person in this position to succeed?
- How will my performance be evaluated?
- What opportunities are there for growth in the next 12 months?
- Two years? Five years?
- What growth do you anticipate for your firm in the next 12 months?
Questions You May Be Asked
Your recruiter should be able to give you a good idea of the hiring authority's personality, his or her typical interview demeanor, and a few important questions that the employer is likely to ask:
- Tell me about yourself.
Keep your answer in the professional realm only. Review your past positions, education and other strengths.
- Why are you interested in this position?
Relate how you feel your qualifications match the job requirements. Also, express your desire to work for the employer.
- What are the most significant accomplishments in your career?
Identify recent accomplishments that relate to the position and its requirements.
- Describe a situation in which your work was criticized.
Focus on how you resolved the situation and became a better person because of the experience.
- What do you know about our organization?
- How would you describe your personality?
- How do you perform under pressure?
- What have you done to improve yourself over the past year?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- Are you leaving (did you leave) your present (last) company?
- What is your ideal working environment?
- How would your co-workers describe you?
- What do you think of your boss?
- Have you ever fired anyone?
- What was the situation and how did you handle it?
- Are you creative?
- What are your goals in your career?
- Where do you see yourself in two years?
- Why should we hire you?
- What kind of salary are you looking for?
- What other types of jobs/companies are you considering?